21.1.14

Reduce the consumption and wear a camo-print jacket!


If you head to your closet right now and dig a little deeper inside your wardrobe you will actually discover you own plenty of items you don't wear anymore, the same can be said of the tons of stuff you bought or received in a particular occasion and you no longer use, but manage to accumulate anyway in boxes in the storage room or in the garage. We can't get rid of material things so easily, our belongings perhaps made us happy once, they probably still remind us of someone special or maybe because we're too lazy to organize all the obsolete objects piled for ages.

One month ago I decided to restore order in my closet to welcome the new year, the process was so liberating! I had to throw/donate many objects, I'm sure I won't need. I got shocked when I found dozens of fabrics, I bought out of a sudden desire rather than careful thoughts, each meter was a reminder for me to stop listening to my consumerist demon who keeps convincing me that one day I will sew them myself, but after a year I realized it is extremely hard to fulfill this promise so I settled on giving each month a fabric to a tailor with a design in mind, this way I will win new custom-made pieces in my wardrobe.

The first fabric I chose was a camo-print one, which I already used for a DIY clutch five months ago. A jacket was made especially for me with an oversized shape and a classical cut. Once I took possession of it I hanged it in my wardrobe because I never wore this kind of jacket before, so I went straight away to investigate first how it is worn in the street. After trying many styles I perceived that it goes well with absolutely everything, but I had a soft spot for mixing it with feminine details like floral tops, lace dresses and pleated maxi skirts, for the sake of breaking down the severe connotation of a garment worn originally in wars.







Are you a collector/hoarder person?
Do you find it difficult to let go of unnecessary possessions? 

7 comments:

  1. To those last questions of the post, yes I am. And since now I'm on my exam season, as soon as Febroury cames I will clean my wardrove and get rid of or donate the things I no longer wear.

    I do have a camo coat and it is really beautiful, it goes well with almost everything!

    xoxo

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Exams' periods are a good excuse to stay far from stores. I notice that every time I have an important project I shop less than on vacation. Take care Laila!

      Delete
  2. My new years resolution is to buy less and wear what I already own more, including last winters camo jacket. I too have piles of material that I originally intended to create with http://bethebteam.blogspot.co.uk/ xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Great resolutions Robin! I renounced shopping for a year but interrupted this strict diet for a while in 2014's sale season. I guess we are all human!

      Delete
  3. I'm definitely a hoarder, I get that from my mum. I would love to be more minimalist.
    http://www.bloglovin.com/blog/11040855

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Vivienne Westwood said once that 'minimalism doesn't quite work' and I agree with her, sometimes we find ourselves in need for bright colors, layers and crazy shapes. Thanks Lorna for passing by.

      Delete
  4. I think Im a bit of both actually! I love to keep stuff (GUILTY) but I also love going through my wardrobe every month to give away stuff that Ino longer wear/use.

    PS: Im loving this blog layout! Its so clean and chic and friendly! <3

    ReplyDelete