1.11.13

DIY Project: Christopher Kane's tapped top with lace Appliqué



Inspiration and copying, is it the same thing? Maybe in the dictionary there is a distinction between the two words, but according to fashion, they are the two faces of the same coin. Most of the collective of designers and retailers, when getting inspired, they usually reproduce the duplicate of the same stuff, over and over again. But still, we do find their (re)creations innovative and appealing, moreover we do our best to possess them instantly (with the minimum price definitely!). But you know what? Everything is fair, for the sake of a Democratic Fashion, one that reaches the mass in the streets no matter what the consequences are, even if it costs the life to 1,132 garments workers. This vicious cycle is said to bring benefits to the industry. But, is it?



Well, I must admit that copying is a human sin. We can't avoid but getting influenced by the experiences, people and objects that occupies our lifes. That's why we should be forgiven if we copy from now and then. This time, I'm the one to blame, I tried to imitate Christopher Kane's Top, one of my favourite young designers btw, displayed in the Spring/Summer 2013. It wasn't a difficult task, all I needed was to sew a transparent top and paste several add-ons afterward.


Lace is one of my favourite fabrics, despite the vintage look of it, it can eventually be associated with plenty of styles, from grunge to sporty. I used carved lace appliqués, which I sewed with thread. Over them, I glued pieces of leather ribbons, then added polymer-clay flowers and beads, to give a tweak to the original version. The last step was to pin the brooch.




Goodreads
To undestand more about the circumstances of copying in the fashion industry:
Fashion industry grapples with designer knockoffs
Fashion’s Democratic Disease
Why Knockoffs Are Good For The Fashion Industry


Note: I usually don't share the detaild process of my DIY projects, because I don't think I'm a good explainer. So, I'd rather write about my inspirations and provide you the final result.

Do you think there is a difference between copying and getting inspired? 
Do you allow yourself to copy other's style?

2 comments:

  1. Great job. Most inspiring.
    I am very pleased to share Links á la Mode this week.
    XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX

    ReplyDelete
  2. beutifull work, thanks for share your experience

    ReplyDelete